Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mango-passionfruit-chocolate macarons

(перейти на русскоязычный блог)

Spring is my favorite season - sunny, warm and colorful, bright days and flavors! 

Since the Valentine's Day when I've made a special proposal dessert inspired by Faberge Eggs, the combination of passion fruit and dark chocolate continues to come back into my sweet creation. I love this passionate pair and want to recall it in many more new ways. Today is a day of my new macarons!

mango_passionfruit0

My kitchen is my lab - I'm like a scientist trying to create new formulas, experimenting with new combinations, challenging new goals. Today I was fighting with my new oven in order to get the best macarons ever (you know HOW naughty they are!). More over, I decider to use a new ingredient in macaron shells to add some mango flavor to the product. When I was in Barcelona I luckily bought one of the Sosa's products: freeze dried mango in powder (you can check it here), so I opened it today and put some in the recipe. I knew this ingredient was very good while working with chocolate - more water cause more problems, however macarons do not love water as well (this was my logic - and it worked!)... I used to change and vary only the filling of the macaron, not the shells and now (after my successful experiment) I believe it's been a big omission. 

So... I put mango powder in side the shells and made my beloved passionate pair (passion fruit + very deep in taste dark chocolate)... And... This was just fantastic! I feel the mango flavor then astringent chocolate and the fresh and sour passion fruit note at the end.... Perfection. They melt in my mouth and the hand goes for the next...

mango_passionfruit1

(This recipe in Evernote):

Ingredients:

Italian Meringue:
56 g water
210 g sugar
2 g salt
80 g egg whites
Yellow colorant (not compulsory)

Almond flour - mango part:
85 г almond powder
100 г powdered sugar
15 г Sosa mango powder
25 г egg whites

Instructions:


Macaronadé:
1. Whisk 80 g egg whites until they form soft peaks then gradually add boiled sugar (118C). 
2. Mix well (I use the home food processor) almond powder, powdered sugar + 25 g egg whites.
3. Add half of merengue, stir until combined. Add the rest of merengue and softly combine until you get shiny and a bit running consistency. 
4. Using a piping bag with a 1cm nozzle, fill with the macaron mixture. Place the silicon mat or paper template onto a baking sheet. Pipe small blobs onto the sheet remembering that less is more at this stage because the mixture will settle and form into the allotted spaces.
5. Gently tap the baking sheet a few times on the work surface to help the macaron mixture to settle and to break any air bubbles, then leave to dry for 20-30 minutes - the surface of the macaron should be smooth and shiny
6. Bake in the preheated oven (150C) around 15 mins (the time and baking mode depend on the oven).
7. Slide the mat or paper onto a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely.

The filling:
Ingredients:
150 г dark chocolate
75 г heavy cream 35%
75 г passion fruit puree
25 г butter (room temperature)

Instructions:
1. Place cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to 82C. 

2. Pour over chocolate (small drops or cut into small parts) and let stand until chocolate has softened, about 10 seconds. Make a small 'tornado' to make a smooth and shiny ganache. 
3. Cool to 35C then add butter (stir until smooth).
4. Let cool slightly before using.

And here is what you need to do next :)
mango_passionfruit3

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment